Pages

Sunday, December 5, 2010

O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree...

Last week at the Christmas tree farm.



Jacob hanging his tractor ornament.

My cold is keeping me from one of my favorite parts of the Christmas season...the smell of a freshly cut tree.  Hopefully my cold will end before the smell goes away!  We finally managed to get ours up and decorated yesterday after cutting it down over a week ago.  With the addition of a second child this year, our family room is increasingly cramped so we opted for a rather small 5 foot tree.  When you grew up with a Christmas tree between 8 and 10 feet tall this is quite a shocking difference, but it fits perfectly in the one spot available and it is holding all of the most important ornaments.  Each year I buy Jacob and now Ryan a new ornament.  Ryan's is a Winnie-the-Pooh 1st Christmas.  Jacob was with me when I bought them so he picked his out:  a John Deere Tractor.  I thought he would go for the fire engine, but tractor it is!


Ryan watching me hang his Winnie-the-Pooh ornament.
As we set out our nativity scene, Mitch did a great job telling the Christmas story and trying to explain to Jacob why we celebrate Christmas.  I think Jacob was much more concerned about whether or not he was allowed to play with the porcelain sheep, but hopefully if we tell the story enough one day he will understand.  I always begin this season trying to focus on Christ, and even more now that we have children.  It is a challenge to keep that focus with all the hussle and bustle that comes with family get togethers, shopping, wrapping, baking, etc.  I love to hear what other families do to keep their focus on Christ.  My new question for people is whether or not they did the whole Santa thing.  I'm not sure I'm ready to share my thoughts on this because I'm not sure we've decided.  I think we can get away with one more year of ignoring it before we are going to have to commit to one way or the other.  Jacob is old enough however to understand birthdays so this has helped him begin to understand what Christmas is about.  I think I would like to have a birthday cake and celebrate Christ's birthday on Christmas day.  We'll see what unfolds as we get closer to the big day!  In the meantime, I will try to meditate on the fantastic act of my God sending his Son to be a baby, child, teen, and then man who is now my Savior and King.  How many times have we heard the story?  I hope this season I can find a refreshed awe for this incredible miracle.



Jacob could almost put the star on himself!!

 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment